How can I help my middle child feel more important?

Michele Borba
Not only do middle kids pick up on which sibling is the parental favorite, but researchers after watching videos of parent interaction confirm that sixty-five percent of mothers and 70 percent of dads exhibited a preference for one child–in most cases, the older one. The middle kid pays the price. So, though we may think we treat our kids equally, research shows otherwise. Be honest. Do your eyes light up with the same intensity for each of your children? That’s your test.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

The most important experience your middle child needs is your consistent, constant and unconditional love, support, and attention given to him.

Reward and compliment him when he does something good, and provide him with ways to get motivated through this. 

Bring him out on special "dates" with you. For example, set aside a time to go and do something together one on one. Even if it's just going out to eat a quick lunch or dessert or something, the time together will count.

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
The Cowboy called Forgetful Jones is a Sesame Street character who can’t even remember he needs his horse to take a ride around his ranch. That’s cute...
How can I teach my child to be kind?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some parenting practices that help teach your child to be kind:Take time to tell and show...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How to Protect Your Kids From the Dark Web