How can I manage the effects of pressure changes on my baby on a plane?

The ear canals in babies are narrower and more curved than adults, so pressure changes during takeoff and landing (landing more so than takeoff) can sometimes cause pain. Breastfeeding, bottlefeeding, or sucking on a pacifier is often soothing during these periods because sucking and swallowing can help equalize the pressure and decrease the pain. Wait until you are sure the plane is about to take off or start its descent so your baby doesn’t fill up and stop sucking too soon. Another tip that may ease discomfort is to give the appropriate dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) about 30 minutes prior to takeoff and, if the flight is longer than 4 hours, again prior to landing.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
How much television should I allow my child to watch?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends limiting screen time to the following: No mor...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Heidi Shares Her Meal-Planning Tricks
Heidi Shares Her Meal-Planning Tricks