How can I manage my child's behavior better?

Lynne Kenney
Behavior management consists of five actions:

1. You focus on what you want your children to do, not what you don’t want them to do.

2. You clearly communicate expected behaviors.

3. You provide the opportunity for successful behaviors to be exhibited.

4. When a rule violation occurs you provide an opportunity to make a better choice, offering opportunities to “repair” the relationship as appropriate.

5. You restrict your child’s freedom to help your child comply with the behavioral expectations of your family.

While many parents focus on discipline, what really leads to the most success is planning ahead to prevent family conflicts. Use your creativity, ingenuity and insight to create strategies that suit the specific needs of your child. Remain proactive and focused on providing your child the opportunity to learn new skills and develop independence and mastery.
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

No matter what method you choose to manage your child's behavior, the most important thing is to be consistent.

My preference is rewarding the behaviors you wish to increase and giving no attention to bad behaviors. By only emphasizing the good behaviors, both you and your child concentrate on positive concepts and your child gains a sense of empowerment. 

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
Weird ways to consume alcohol have been popping up on social media and YouTube -- and are enough to make any college counselor or parent’s heart skip ...
When is a good time to talk to my child?
Dinnertime is a great time to have family discussions with your children on topics that can affect e...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?