How long should my child's thank you note be?

Michele Borba
A young child can dictate his comments and only needs to sign his name. School age kids should use this rule from The Etiquette and Leadership Institute at Athens, Georgia: “The total number of sentences in a thank you note should be half the child’s age.” So a ten-year-old should be expected to write a minimum of five complete sentences; a six-year-old should write just three sentences.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Baby Talk: How to Talk to Your Children
Baby Talk: How to Talk to Your Children
Sometimes it's easy to say very little or just stick to short phrases with young kids because most can't do much talking anyway. But everything you're...
How can I reinforce my shy child's social efforts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Any and every effort your child makes to be even a tad more social deserves a pat on the back: “...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Artificial Food Colors Affect Children