How do I keep my child safe while letting him take risks?

While you know that kids are at risk of severe injury from accidents, the number one cause of death and hospitalizations among kids, you also know deep down that you're putting them at even greater risk down the line if you don't allow them to take risks and understand what consequences may mean. The key is to expose your child to developmentally appropriate risks and provide sufficient support until he masters skills. Think of providing safety as giving your child training wheels for life: You let him ride all kinds of metaphorical bikes but provide training wheels until he learns how to ride on his own. For instance, when he first explores stairs, you follow behind him; when she first jumps off the edge of a pool, you catch her. It's better to teach your child to climb the stairs with you as a safety net, so that if you are looking the other way and he sneaks over there, he's better prepared.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
The Breathe Youth Media Awards (formerly Hackademy) are given for smoking in films. In 2015 Bill Murray won for the PG-13 rated St. Vincent, in which ...
How should I defend my child from cyberbullies?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
As much as you want to put on your boxing gloves to defend your child from cyberbullying, don't do i...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my child cope with fears?