Is playing video games unhealthy for kids?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Thirty minutes on some days of a non-violent video game is not unhealthy for your child and some games can be educational. Like anything, they can be used to excess. If your child avoids other kids and outdoor play to have more time for video games, that is when problems can start.
First, make sure the video games are not in your child's room. By keeping the activity in a public area of the house, you child is not as secluded. If the games are already in your child's room, move them out. Second, keep video game time to a set amount of time somewhere around thirty minutes. By keeping the time down, you are letting them have fun without having to worry about them avoiding other outdoor and engaging activities.

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not — and when to call the doc. As infants grow, their poop patterns generally slow down. Some babies may poop many times...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health
Is Social Media the Solution to Improve Healthcare?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?