Is it unhealthy to treat my daughter as a friend?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy

There are many reasons why treating a daughter as a friend can be damaging. Perhaps the critical one is the effect it can have on your children's sexual relationships. One of the most surprising phenomena I've seen in my practice is the permissiveness with which parents approach their daughters' sexuality. One mother whom I was treating talked about her 19-year-old daughter's sexual escapades as if she had just been accepted into an elite college. "The last guy who slept over was hot, hot, hot," she said, practically salivating. She failed to see how inappropriate it was for a 43-year-old women to be viewing her 19-year-old daughter as a friend, rather than a child who needs to learn moderation and responsibility around sex. I think this approach is endemic among parents of millennials. They are raising a generation of self-absorbed children who do not have an appreciation for true intimacy and authentic connection with another human being.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
When your child is in the hospital, it helps to think of the key staff members as new friends who can play a critical role in your child's well-being....
How can I help a perfectionist child who is easily frustrated?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Ask yourself if your child’s reaction gets him or her into trouble, say at school, or with frien...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Fighting Over an Overweight Child
Fighting Over an Overweight Child