Is sharing a bed bad for my child?

The results of a new study indicate that bed-sharing does not negatively affect cognitive or behavioral development in young children.

Researchers at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine looked at the sleep habits of 944 low-income families over a period of several years. The families they included represented a diverse sample of racial and ethnic backgrounds, as well as geographic location.

In a survey, parents were asked to describe their family’s sleep habits -- particularly regarding co-sleeping when their children were ages 1, 2, and 3 years. At age 5, researchers assessed the children’s cognitive and behavioral development, including early math and literacy skills, social skills, and levels of hyperactivity. They found that co-sleeping during the toddler years does not negatively affect development by the age of 5. It’s important to note that researchers also found no developmental benefit to children from co-sleeping.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Disciplining Children: How to Give a Time-Out
We've found -- and the data support -- that a time-out is the most effective approach for discipline. It gives both the child and the parent a chance ...
How can I prevent my child from having a tantrum?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Children are most likely to have tantrums -- or, as I like to call them, "emotional storms" -- when ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Viewers in Dr. Oz’s Social Experiment Explain Their Reactions