Is being online constantly a danger to my child?

Michele Borba
Our children are called the “Net Generation,” and rightly so. After all, this is the first group born into the era of iPods, iPads, cell phones, text messaging, Skype, podcasts, and blogs. And they are clearly plugging in. The average American eight- to 18-year-old is now plugged into some kind of digital media seven and a half hours a day. Reports show that youth online time is steadily increasing by 38 percent in just five years. Let’s face it, technology is transforming our kids’ lives. Digital media is no longer a luxury but a mainstream in our children’s lives. But the key question is what effect will all that plugged-in time have on our children’s development? The truth is our children’s engagement in the digital world is so new that researchers are still unclear as to how it will play out in their development. And there lies the reason we need to tune in closer. New reports reveal a developmental danger that we may be overlooking when it comes to parenting today’s plugged-in kids. Research also confirms that the more time kids plug in, the greater likelihood they will have a lower attachment or relationship with their parents. It’s a simple equation: Less face to face time adds up to our kids having less time to tune into our thoughts, feelings, attitudes, values, and actions. The fact is kids don’t learn crucial life and character skills such as empathy, communication, emotional intelligence, respect, sharing, friendship-making, leadership, social skills, conflict resolution, listening, compassion, tolerance -- the list goes on but I think you get my drift -- by facing those screens or having earphones jammed in. While a digital world may enhance our children’s cognitive growth, it does little to affect their moral, social and emotional development. And do beware: a parent-child relationship cannot be strengthened when a child or parent is plugged in or attached to a digital device.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Without a doubt, there will be plenty of time to have your child take all kinds of tests: math tests, spelling tests, driving tests. But just for fun,...
What is the likelihood my child will tell me about cyberbullying?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Do not expect your child will come and tell you about cyberbullying. Research says that chances ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Should You Worry About Sibling Bullying?