Why is it important to explain consequences to my child?

Rather than telling your child no all the time, a smart tactic is to make him aware of the potential consequences of his actions so that he learns to make wise choices when you're not around to raise the alarm. Instead of shrieking at him every time he stands up on the chair, in a calm voice you can say, "I'd be disappointed if you fell because you'd get hurt, and we'd have to spend time in the emergency room rather than playing with your dolls or playing catch." While you sometimes need to be forceful with a "no," such as when danger is imminent, taking advantage of teachable moments early on can have a positive effect that will last a lifetime.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

When Parents Are Away: Info Every Caregiver Must Have
The little boy was sitting in the ER, crying. He had fallen off his bicycle and broken his arm. And I legally wasn’t allowed to fix it. Why? His pare...
Which children are most likely to be affected by a tragedy in the news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There are no hard rules, but here are things to consider about a tragedy as to which children ar...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Stories of Survival from Newtown, Pt 2
Stories of Survival from Newtown, Pt 2