How do I wean my kids off rewards for good behavior?

Michele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to wean kids from that deadly "What do I get?" epidemic.

1. Change the pronouns from "I" to "you" in your praise. Instead of: "I'm really proud of how hard you worked." Try: "You must be really proud of how hard you worked." The simple word switch takes the emphasis off of your approval and puts it on your child acknowledging herself.
   2. Find out what pleased your child about the job she did. "How did you learn to balance yourself without the training wheels? Put the success back inside your child's corner.
   3. The next time your kid does something noteworthy, keep your wallet closed. Instead, simply say: "You did it!" Your child needs know you expect her to do her best without a reward.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

7 Steps to Healthy Eating Habits for Children
1. Start early. A basic biological fact: Kids will not crave foods they're not familiar with. As soon as your kid starts eating solid foods, really co...
How can I help my child wind down before bed?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help your child wind down before bed:Create wind-down rituals -- Many kids are so wired from st...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Help Your Toddler Graduate From Crib to Bed