How could hearing about tragic events in the news affect my child?

Many children don’t have the emotional capacity to process traumatic information. Dr. Sudeepta Varma, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at NYU Langone Medical Center, advises, “In the days and weeks after the tragedy, you may notice children saying they have difficulty sleeping and separating from their parents. They may become more withdrawn, act out more frequently -- especially if they are constantly exposed to the events on the television. To prevent this, parents should limit what children are watching on TV. They may not be able to emotionally process the tragic information. Research has shown a correlation between the number of hours of watching TV and the severity of stress symptoms.”
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Parenting

8 Lessons I Learned About Parenting in the ER
The emergency room is not a place you go to learn about parenting. Yet, after years of working as an ER doctor, during moments ranging from tragic to ...
How can I teach my child empathy?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Empathy is the ability to put yourself in another's place and to take that perspective into account ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Smart Discipline: Alternatives to Spanking Your Child