How could hearing about tragic events in the news affect my child?

Many children don’t have the emotional capacity to process traumatic information. Dr. Sudeepta Varma, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at NYU Langone Medical Center, advises, “In the days and weeks after the tragedy, you may notice children saying they have difficulty sleeping and separating from their parents. They may become more withdrawn, act out more frequently -- especially if they are constantly exposed to the events on the television. To prevent this, parents should limit what children are watching on TV. They may not be able to emotionally process the tragic information. Research has shown a correlation between the number of hours of watching TV and the severity of stress symptoms.”
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Parenting

Top 5 Reasons Breakfast Is a Must for Kids
How many times have you heard "breakfast is the most important meal of the day"? Here's why, in terms of small fry. Kids who eat breakfast: Do bett...
Should I worry if my child is playing too many video games?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are red flags that may signal that video games are a negative influence on a child: Peer re...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Bethenny Frankel Talks About the Importance of Finding Balance