How much time should my child spend on the computer?

The computer can be a great tool for learning about anything that may interest or inspire your child, and I’m thrilled by how kids today are so comfortable and adept at using it. It’s a sign of the times that children are able to e-mail their teachers or join an online discussion group about a subject they’re learning in school. But like television, computer use should be limited and used in moderation. Less than an hour should be enough for most children.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Baby Talk: How to Talk to Your Children
Baby Talk: How to Talk to Your Children
Sometimes it's easy to say very little or just stick to short phrases with young kids because most can't do much talking anyway. But everything you're...
Why should I talk to my child about how well she practices social skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Child development experts, Oden and Asher, discovered that a critical part of teaching social sk...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Smart Sleep Advice for Working Mothers
Smart Sleep Advice for Working Mothers