How can I teach my child the social skills necessary to make friends?

Michele Borba
To teach your child friendship-making skills, start by focusing on one social skill your child lacks and coach the new friendship skill.

Your child must learn a new way to interact successfully with others. How you present the skill is critical as to whether or not the child will try it or learn it. So…

Find a private moment to model the new skill to your child.

Talk about why the skill is important, and then be sure your child can show you how to do the skill correctly.

It's helpful to go with your child to a public place such as a playground or school yard, so she can observe other kids actually using the skill. Seeing the skill in action helps your child copy it, so she can try it on her own.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Be Your Child's Advocate at the Hospital
You can't be a silent bystander at any point in the care of your child. Make sure to speak up if you have questions or concerns. If you're the shy, pa...
Why is it important to have a sleep schedule for my child?
Nicole H. Gorton, MDNicole H. Gorton, MD
Regular sleep times help set childrens' biological clocks. This means waking them at a consistent an...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Mom's Depression Boosts Kids' Risk of Childhood Obesity