How can I teach my children to be thankful?

Michele Borba
Say a prayer of thanks together before meals. But extend that so your children learn to count their blessings every day and reflect upon the good things in their lives. Here are a few ideas:
  • Review the good things. Help your children “count their blessings” every night by just reviewing all the things they are grateful for. If you’re not doing this simple ritual, what better day to begin than now! Our children are exposed to so much of the doom and gloom about life. Let’s help our children reflect on the simple, wonderful good things in our lives that we so often take for granted.
  • Thank you ABCs. This one is great for younger kids to do at the dinner table. You and your kids say the alphabet together, but for each letter include something you are grateful for: A, Aunt Helen; B, my brother; C, my cat and so on. Take it up one notch by having the person explain why he is grateful. Families with small kids rarely get beyond H, but the point is that you’re having fun together, and your kids are also learning to be appreciative. Older kids can reveal one thing they are grateful for that happened to them during the day and why.
  • Say prayers of Thanksgiving. Say a prayer of thanks together before meals. Some families take turns so that each night a different member leads the prayer.
  • Create bedtime family blessings. Each child exchanges messages of appreciation for one another, followed by a goodnight hug and kiss.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

7 Steps to Healthy Eating Habits for Children
1. Start early. A basic biological fact: Kids will not crave foods they're not familiar with. As soon as your kid starts eating solid foods, really co...
How can I find a responsible babysitter for my child?
As I’m sure you’re aware, finding a good babysitter is not always an easy task. If you’ve recently m...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Artificial Food Colors Affect Children