How can I teach my children to love themselves?

To reinforce a child’s self-love, here are some simple things that help children remember more of those “I love me” feelings on a daily basis:
  • Practice the “love hug.” This is a wonderful exercise for young children to practice every day. Have them hug themselves while saying, “I love me. I love thee. I love myself in every way, every day!” Make it a family ritual, either at night before they go to sleep or when they wake up in the morning to remind them to love themselves.
  • Create an “I love me” jar. In a jar or box with a lid, put strips of paper on which a parent or child can write loving thoughts or activities to do every day. It could be an activity that promotes loving and caring for themselves or things that they love about themselves.
  • Make a screen saver. Especially for preteen or teens, have them create a screen saver on their computer that endorses the "I love me" message. It is a subtle, subliminal way for them to see the loving message every day. Examples: “Every Day Live Loving Kindness to Myself and Others,” or “It’s Cool to Love Me.”
  • Practice making loving decisions. Our daily life decisions reflect the amount of care and love we have for ourselves. Teach children to use two important questions in their decision making: “Is this (action, thought pattern, or relationship) the most loving to me?” and “What are the most loving things I can do for myself (or for others) in this situation?”

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
How do I know if my child is really ready to fly alone?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Thinking of having your child fly alone to visit someone or going off to camp this summer?I know fro...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What You Need to Know About Children’s Pajamas