How can I teach my child to solve her own problems?

Michele Borba
No parent wants their child to suffer disappointments, and often our first adult instinct is to try and solve their dilemmas for them. But watch out: doing so robs kids of the opportunity to find their own solutions. Problem solving is exactly the skill kids need when they’re on their own.

Avoid that temptation of rescuing your kid and solving his problems. Instead, step in only when really needed. Children need to build self-beliefs that say, “I can figure things out for myself.” Then do let your child know you believe he can.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

No, You Shouldn’t Force Your Kids to Hug Anyone
In the world of #MeToo and accusations of sexual harassment, we should all take a hard look at the emotionally-charged issue of physical touch and con...
Why should I help my child make friends?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Research from Concordia University, Florida Atlantic University and the University of Vermont pu...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is the Importance of Social Media in Healthcare Today?