How should I teach my child self-control?

Michele Borba
Here are some parenting practices that help teach your child self-control:
  • To teach kids self-control, you must show kids self-control, so be a living example of self-control.
  • Refrain from always giving tangible rewards for your child's efforts so she develops her own internal reward system.
  • Your home is the best place for your child to learn how deal with stressful situations. Don't rob him of the opportunity to learn how.
  • Gradually stretch your child's ability to control his impulses and learn to wait.

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Strategies to Make Surgery Easier for Your Child
Surgery can scare the heck out of kids, just as it can scare adults. These four strategies can reduce fear and ease the journey for both you and your ...
How can I help my child express her feelings about moving to a new place?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If your child doesn't share her feelings about moving to a new home and neighborhood, you can he...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Nutrition, Family and Healthcare
Nutrition, Family and Healthcare