How can I teach my child responsibility?

Michele Borba
A big part of changing kids’ irresponsible attitudes is to flat-out require responsibilities. And the easiest place to begin is right at home. First think about the responsibilities you want to delegate per child. You might even gather the troops and brainstorm together all the things they should be responsible for and additional ways they could help out at home. These might include household chores (watering plants, making beds, dusting); personal responsibilities (brushing teeth, showering); personal possessions (putting toys, bicycles, videogames away); school (do homework to the best of your ability, return library books).Then clearly spell out to each family member your expectations and the consequence for incompletes. Go through each responsibility step by step at least once with your kid so that she clearly knows how to do it. This is the time when you can correct any poor habits.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Childhood Obesity Prevention: Keep Tabs on Kids' Weight
Childhood obesity is rising faster than the national debt. About 1 in 5 school-age kids are obese—1 in 3 in some cities. You might think that even if ...
How can I help my child to love learning?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
As your child grows, help him to see that learning is an ongoing process and share with him your ent...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Factors Can Make It Difficult to Spend Quality Time with My Child?