How can I teach my child to say no to someone who might try to abuse them?

Michele Borba
Studies show that kids under the age nine rarely say “no” to a sexual offender because they were taught to obey adults. So give permission for your child to yell "no" to whoever the adult. Peter A. Levine and Maggie Kline, authors of Trauma-Proofing Your Kids, point out:

“In order for children to develop the capacity to stop someone from improper, hurtful, uncomfortable or confusing touch, they must have practice and experience with the right of refusal in other areas of the life. In this way it becomes a natural part of their self-confidence and is imprinted in their developing brain.”

For younger children: “If someone tries to touch you in places your bathing suit covers or makes you feel at all afraid or uncomfortable, say, 'NO!' I will not be angry -- whoever the adult is. You will not be in trouble.”

For teens: “You should expect to be respected and if ever you say 'no' to someone’s sexual advance, the person should respect your wishes. If not, get help. (Define rape and abuse.)

Ninety percent of sexual offenders are people the child or your family knows -- including the parents’ friends, a babysitter, an older sibling or relative -- so avoid describing abusers as strangers, which can be confusing.

Online predators usually are strangers, but they slowly befriend or “groom” the child, and then try to set up a face-to-face meeting. Review: “Never meet someone online offline.” And: “Who you meet online is rarely the same person offline.”
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Strategies to Make Surgery Easier for Your Child
Surgery can scare the heck out of kids, just as it can scare adults. These four strategies can reduce fear and ease the journey for both you and your ...
How can I prepare for life with twins?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Most women find that a little extra support and planning helps a lot, especially in the early week...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health