How can I teach my child to avoid impulsive buying?

Michele Borba
To help avoid impulsive buying, involve the kids. Discuss the difference between "needs vs. wants" and let them know that this year there will be a budget and they will need to stick to it. Find out what is on the top of their "want" and "need" list. Such discussions help reduce those impulsive "just gotta to have it" shopping habits. Even kids as young as 6 -- even 5! -- can benefit from those money discussions.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
When 23-year-old singer-songwriter James Taylor starred in the 1971 drag-racing movie Two Lane Blacktop his character loved speeding down the highway....
Who gets up more with a baby at night, men or women?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Not only do women get up more than men (working women are 2 ½ times more likely to get up than worki...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Bethenny Frankel Talks About the Importance of Finding Balance