How can I teach my child to appreciate gifts during the holidays?

Michele Borba
Here are ways to teach kids appreciation:

Rehearse appreciation -- Teach your child how to accept gifts graciously by rehearing polite comebacks prior to the event. A few gracious responses might be: "Thank you for this." "I really appreciate it" or "Thanks. That was nice of you." Sometimes "Thank you so much!" might be best. Make sure to act out the appreciation role yourself. "Sometimes I don't get what I hope for, but I try to make the person who gave me the gift happy."

Younger kids can practice saying responses with their teddy bears or dolls. But remember: repeated practice is critical to succeed in mastering this skill. So please don't wait until the night before to start those rehearsals and think your kid is going to be able to pull off appearing gracious under fire.

Help your child imagine the recipient's feelings -- Set up a few pretend sequences and then role play with your child. For instance: "Suppose Aunt Helen is here right now. She spent a lot of time shopping for your gift because she loves you and hopes you're happy when you open it. Pretend she's watching you open that package. What can you say and do to let her know you appreciate her effort?"

Stress and expect appreciation -- Emphasize to your child that he doesn't have to like a gift, but he must show his appreciation for the thought that went behind the giver's effort. That point will take a lot of little chats and not one long marathon lecture. So start the little appreciation reminders now.

Also, be sure you're putting more emphasis on "giving" and not "getting" over the holidays. If your child is expected to "give" presents to others and spends his hard-earned pennies to purchase that gift, believe me he'll understand the concept of "appreciation" a lot quicker.

Keep in mind, the price of the present is irrelevant: homemade gifts are glorious! The key is allowing kids to experience the joy of giving to others including wrapping the gift, taking time to think what to give, and shopping or making that item. Hands-on giving is always the best way to help a child understand how it feels to be the recipient of appreciation or disappointment.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pain and Fever Reducers: Which Is Right for Your Child?
Which pain reliever do you reach for when your child has a fever or an earache or a headache? There's a good chance it's the same one your parents gav...
How can I know if I'm guilty of helicopter parenting?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Helicopter parenting is the term given to mothers and fathers who hover around their children and in...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Nutrition, Family and Healthcare
Nutrition, Family and Healthcare