How should I talk to my school-age child?

School-age kids speak much like adults, with full sentences and great details. They seek out more information, and try to understand why things are the way they are. At this age, children begin to appreciate how they relate to others and recognize themselves in the social world. To encourage more you should have regular conversations with your child about their friends, their likes, and their dislikes. These discussions can help with problem solving and goal-setting. Teach your child to use language to manage conflicts with peers.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Disciplining Children: How to Give a Time-Out
We've found -- and the data support -- that a time-out is the most effective approach for discipline. It gives both the child and the parent a chance ...
How can I help my child develop new skills?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
First, talk it out (before the storm). One of the most effective ways you can help build skills ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Al Roker and Deborah Roberts Have Learned From Their Marriage