How can I talk to my child about sex abuse?

Michele Borba
Kids need to know “just in case scenarios,” and they need to understand what sexual abuse is and how to protect themselves. Though you may fear it will be frightening, studies find most kids embrace information.

The secret is bringing up the topic of sexual abuse to kids in a relaxed way just as you discuss earthquakes, pool safety and using crosswalks. Your ultimate parenting goal is to stress two crucial points to your child:
  • “Tell a trusted adult immediately whenever you feel confused, uncomfortable or unsafe.”
  • “I will believe and protect you no matter who the person is or what the person told you would happen if you broke a promise. I love you no matter what.”
Reports show that kids do not tell about abuse unless they are asked in a way that makes them feel safe enough to tell. You are laying the groundwork to not only prevent abuse but also to get the crucial help a child might need.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
When Eddie (John C. Reilly) from the animated hit film Sing croons, “Can I get a Happy Meal with big nuggets?” and Johnny (Taron Egerton) the gorilla ...
How does a lack of sleep affect my health as a mother?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Moms in particular are starved for sleep, evidenced by the National Sleep Foundation's annual poll. ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?