How do I stop my child from being bullied?

If you suspect your child is being bullied, ask questions like “What do you do at recess?” or “Who do you sit with at lunch?” (Actually, you should be asking these questions anyway. That way, you’ll be more apt to notice if something is up.) Quietly talk to your child’s teacher and ask if your kid is the butt of mean jokes or tricks. You can help your child deal with cruel children by talking to him about it and, depending on your child’s age and the severity of the situation, brainstorming solutions.

First, encourage your child to tell an adult if he’s being bullied. Whether it’s you, a teacher, a coach, or even a neighbor, an adult can help. If he’s too afraid to tell an adult, encourage him to tell a trusted friend, brother, or sister who can offer help and support and who can approach an adult about the issue. Then give your child some tips to avoid these situations. For instance, staying in a group, joining clubs, or participating in activities where he can make friends are some ways to avoid bullies. Also, tell your child that if he feels safe, it is okay to stand up for himself by saying “Stop it!” and walking away.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
Michele Borba
You need all the facts so you can help your kid create a plan to stop it.
  • “What happened?”
  • “Who did this?”
  • “Where were you?”
  • “Who was there?”
  • “Were you alone?”
  • “Did anyone else see this?” “Did anyone try to help?” “Did an adult see this?”
  • “Has it happened before?” “How often?”
  • “How does it start?”
  • “What did you do?” “Do you think he’ll do it again?”
Your goal is to gather as much information as possible so you can develop a safety plan for your child.

Bullying almost always happens at the same place and the same time. The incident usually also involves the same children. Bullying also generally happens in places that are not adult supervised.

Those are important clues as you gather information.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Without a doubt, there will be plenty of time to have your child take all kinds of tests: math tests, spelling tests, driving tests. But just for fun,...
Is it okay to let my child eat in front of the TV?
Don’t eat in front of the TV. It’s bad for everyone because it’s so easy to zone out in front of the...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
The Monkey “Ice Cream” Everyone Will Love