How can I squelch my child's materialism?

Michele Borba
I have a behavior makeover to squelch materialism in your child.

1. Make your child write down or draw her intended purchase and post it at least 24 hours before she buys it.
   2. Encourage your child's charitable actions so he understands you value unselfishness. "That was so kind when you shared your toys with Kevin."
   3. Limit TV time. A study found that when TV viewing was cut by one-third, kids were 70 percent less likely to ask for toys.
   4. Don't feel guilt about saying no. Always giving in to your child's whims doesn't do her any favors.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
The Breathe Youth Media Awards (formerly Hackademy) are given for smoking in films. In 2015 Bill Murray won for the PG-13 rated St. Vincent, in which ...
How can I know if I'm guilty of helicopter parenting?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Helicopter parenting is the term given to mothers and fathers who hover around their children and in...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood