How can I spend quality time with my child?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

There is an ongoing debate over whether the quality or quantity of time with a child is more important. Ideally, you need to have both. However, since many of us need to work, the quality becomes extra important. This does not mean every play date needs to be an event. It is more important that you really commit to being present when you interact. So, when you are together, turn off the TV or radio, and put down the PDA and magazines. You can do other things, but they should be activities where you can look your child in the eye and have a meaningful conversation.

While mutual productivity is great, it is also important to spend some serious 'do‑nothing' time with your children. Teenagers especially tend to respond like wild animals. They need to sense they can trust you before they open up. Just hanging out with no agenda shows kids that you value their company and that you enjoy being with them. This goes a long way in the trust department.

Continue Learning about Parenting

8 Lessons I Learned About Parenting in the ER
The emergency room is not a place you go to learn about parenting. Yet, after years of working as an ER doctor, during moments ranging from tragic to ...
Why should I take away my child's cell phone at night?
Janice K. Hillman, MDJanice K. Hillman, MD
There are both physical and psychological reasons to put phone away at night. Sleeping with the phon...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
6 Ways to Stop Bullying
6 Ways to Stop Bullying