How can I spend quality time with my child?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

There is an ongoing debate over whether the quality or quantity of time with a child is more important. Ideally, you need to have both. However, since many of us need to work, the quality becomes extra important. This does not mean every play date needs to be an event. It is more important that you really commit to being present when you interact. So, when you are together, turn off the TV or radio, and put down the PDA and magazines. You can do other things, but they should be activities where you can look your child in the eye and have a meaningful conversation.

While mutual productivity is great, it is also important to spend some serious 'do‑nothing' time with your children. Teenagers especially tend to respond like wild animals. They need to sense they can trust you before they open up. Just hanging out with no agenda shows kids that you value their company and that you enjoy being with them. This goes a long way in the trust department.

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Tips from the Pediatric ER
4 Tips from the Pediatric ER
Want insights from an emergency room (ER) insider? Listen to someone who's spent more than 10 years handling emergencies in several types of ERs: my o...
How can I help a child who has sensory integration issues?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
I don’t know about you, but I certainly have my own sensory preferences. If there’s a lot of backgro...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Heidi Shares Her Meal-Planning Tricks
Heidi Shares Her Meal-Planning Tricks