How should I punish my child for cursing?

Michele Borba
If you've been clear with your expectations about cursing, yet it still continues, it's time to set a consequence. Here are things to do for "repeat offenders:"
  • Create a swear jar. Each time the child (and any member of the family -- dad and mom as well) swears he is fined and must put a set amount of money in a jar. When filled, donate the money to a charity of your choice. For kids short on money, post a list of chores that can be done to work off the fine. Do not loan your child money to pay off the fine. It will defeat the purpose.
  • Lose a privilege. "If you can't talk nicely in the family room, you will go to your room." Or lose a privilege. "If you can't talk appropriately in this house, you will not be able to use your cell phone."
  • Learn a new word: My favorite consequence is to make the offender use the dictionary to look up a more appropriate word to replace the offensive one. The child must then use the word at least ten (or some set amount) times during the day and could also be required to write to word on an index card to teach to other family members. Not only are you eliminating curse words but you're also increasing your child's vocabulary skills.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Substitute Family Activities for Computer Time
If the tweens and teens in your life are complaining about back pains and headaches, check their screen time -- how many hours a day they spend starin...
How can I take care of myself if I am a parent of twins?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Multiple kids may double your pleasure but it also doubles the stress. Some research suggests th...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
6 Ways to Stop Bullying
6 Ways to Stop Bullying