How can I get my school-age child to take medicine?

Kids ages five to eleven often want to be in control, so let them hold the dispenser. (Just make sure to supervise.) Often another form can be substituted for medication that comes in pills -- a liquid, a chewable form, or an “instant” dissolving tab that can be placed right on the tongue. If there’s not an alternative form, sometimes pills can be crushed and added to applesauce or another soft food -- but check on that first as it could alter the med’s effectiveness.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Sneaky Ways to Boost Your Kids' Nutrition
Constantly wondering how to get your kids to eat healthier food? Wonder no more. With a little parental sleight of hand, finicky eaters will enthusias...
What is unschooling?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Unschooling is a small but growing fringe of the homeschooling movement. It is based on the educ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood