How can role playing help my child develop empathy?

Michele Borba
Michael was a student of mine who had difficulty understanding anyone else’s feelings but his own. One day he hurt another student’s feelings with his teasing, but I just couldn’t get him to understand how sad he’d made the other child. I spotted a wire hanger on the floor, quickly bent it into a large circle shape and improvised: “Michael, stick your head through the hole and pretend you’re Stevie and feel just like Stevie feels. I’ll be Michael.”

I started the role play: “Stevie, your haircut makes you look dumb. How do you feel, Stevie?”

By making Michael switch places and pretend to be Stevie, he finally understood Stevie’s hurt. I used a wire hanger as a prop for Michael to use in role playing the other child’s point of view but there are other ideas:
  • You can help your younger child act out the other person’s perspective using puppets, dolls or even toy action figures.
  • As kids get older you can just say, “Switch places and take the other person’s side. How would you feel if you were in her place?” Just make sure you ask that question again and again!
  • You can also have your child actually sit in your seat. (“Sit here a minute, Honey. I’ve been sitting here for the last two hours waiting for you to come home. Sit here to help you understand how you think I was feeling.”)
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Fast, Healthy Recipes for Frazzled Parents
"Knowing kids -- and parents -- need to eat healthy food is one thing. Getting them to do it is another. For starters, kids of all ages tend to hate a...
How can I get my kids to do household chores?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Years ago my girlfriend Cindy shared with me her parenting secrets to get her kids to do household c...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Oz Discusses the Concussion Epidemic