How can I reward my child when he achieves a goal?

Michele Borba
Nothing is more affirming to children than succeeding at goals they've worked hard to achieve. It's the tangible proof your child interprets as, "I really did it!" and a great way to nurture your child's self-confidence. As goals are achieved, celebrate them as a family. You might:
  • Capture the image: Photograph your child achieving her goal and framing it.
  • Victory log: Provide your child with a small notebook or journal (A Victory Log!) for your child to log each goal achievement.
  • Success dinner: Have a Victory Dinner where you cook your child's favorite dinner.
  • Balloon pop: Take a dollar bill or a picture of an inexpensive prize and help your child tightly roll and insert it inside a large party balloon. Blow up the balloon and knot the end. On the outside of the balloon use a black laundry pen to write or draw a goal your child wants to achieve. Tie a string to the end and hang the balloon in a special place. Tell the child that the moment he achieves the goal, you will pop the balloon together. The prize inside will be his reward for his hard work. In the meantime, the blown balloon serves as a reminder to work hard at the goal.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Strategies to Make Surgery Easier for Your Child
Surgery can scare the heck out of kids, just as it can scare adults. These four strategies can reduce fear and ease the journey for both you and your ...
What are signs of technology overuse in kids?
Dr. Lisa K. Strohman, PhDDr. Lisa K. Strohman, PhD
Technology overuse in kids include the following signs and behaviors: Increased need to use tech...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Mo’Nique Gives Heartfelt Advice to the Audience