How can I relax to reduce the stress of caring for my baby?

Lyn Turton

Being a new mom means you are very busy but taking time to look after yourself will benefit both you and baby. You will be better able to cope with the demands of parenthood and your baby will be comforted by your sense of calm.

Take some time each day when your baby is sleeping or in a safe place to be calm and quiet or do something you enjoy.

Sitting quietly with your eyes closed and breathing slowly and deeply for a few minutes can relax you. Doing yoga or an exercise you enjoy can also help.

Listening to music or reading are other ways to reduce stress.

You can also find relaxing activities to do with your baby such as going for a walk together or snuggling while looking at books or listening to soothing music.

Trish Booth
Family Medicine
Try these suggestions to help yourself relax.

- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Sit in a chair and breathe slowly and deeply.
- Repeat silently a saying that brings you comfort.
- Do yoga or stretching exercises.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
“This is the paramedic, we’re driving in with a 4-month-old. Mother found it in the crib, not breathing. CPR underway.” As an ER doctor, there are fe...
What should I do if I think my child needs therapy?
If you decide your child needs help, the first step is to talk to your pediatrician or family doctor...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
The Father-Son Team Behind YouTube Hit “Fat Dad, Fat Kid”