How can I raise my kids to be kind-hearted?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education

One approach is to be a good role model. For example, if you role model kind-hearted behavior such as altruism and philanthropy, and your child sees this behavior, he/she might model it. Ideas include taking your child with you when you drop off used clothes at a thrift shop; offer your child the opportunity to help you bake bread for your neighbor who is sick; grow a garden with your child and the two of you take the harvest to your local food bank.

Continue Learning about Parenting

New Screening Guidelines for Kids: What Parents Should Know
In 2017, the American Academy of Pediatrics updated its schedule of the preventive screenings children and adolescents need. The most notable changes ...
How should I choose role models for my daughter?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Tune in to those so-called role models. Make sure their examples are ones you want your daughter...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Stories of Survival from Newtown, Pt 2
Stories of Survival from Newtown, Pt 2