How can I protect my child from violence?

It’s a parent’s responsibility to ensure the safety of his or her children. Teaching your child to protect himself from violence will help keep your child out of harm’s way.

Establishing a strong bond with your child will go a long way to help keep your kids safe as well as prevent them from inflicting harm upon others. Self-confident children are more likely to use words than fists to handle disagreements. Also, maintaining a close relationship with your kids can greatly reduce their chances of getting involved with gang activity -- some children turn to gangs as a substitute for a close family.

Let your kids know that violence is unacceptable. Teach your child how to resolve conflicts in a peaceful manner. Here are some good strategies for your child to implement when faced with potential violence:

• Try talking it out with a clear and calm voice.
  • Use humor to diffuse the situation.
  • Come up with a compromise.
  • Avoid the situation or just walk away.
  • Notify an adult when it’s beyond their ability to handle.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Without a doubt, there will be plenty of time to have your child take all kinds of tests: math tests, spelling tests, driving tests. But just for fun,...
How can I stay educated about my child's digital world?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keeping abreast with what is new in technology and what our kids are into will certainly increas...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
The Monkey “Ice Cream” Everyone Will Love