How can parents help if their child is admitted to the hospital?

Parents can do the following when their child is admitted to the hospital:
  • Supply medical history.  Provide accurate information to the healthcare team.
  • Ask questions when you do not understand the plan of care.  
  • Provide clues about pain management. If a child has a high or low tolerance for pain, give the medical team clues and warning signs that are specific to your child.
  • Stay calm.  The sick or injured child will pick up on your stress.  The medical staff relies on the parent to get a clear understanding of the child’s illness or injury. 

Continue Learning about Parenting

Mom, Take Care of Yourself!
Mom, Take Care of Yourself!
What makes Allison Janney’s TV character, Mom, so comical is that she’s pretty confused and messed up. It’s all about her—not her daughter Christy (An...
How can I share my moral beliefs with my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are five quick questions to gauge how well you’re parenting solid moral beliefs in your child:-...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Would You Do If You Saw a Mom Scolding Her Kid?