How do I know when I should correct my toddler's behavior?

David Herz, MD
Pediatrics
It's not unusual for parents to spring into action whenever they catch their toddler doing something she shouldn't. Naturally, a parent's first thought is to keep her child safe. But correcting every single thing a child does wrong makes it difficult to create a loving bond. The key is knowing how to assess a behavior before correcting it.

Ask yourself if your child's action is creating a safety issue. For instance, is she running into the street or playing with matches? In these cases, you certainly want to correct the behavior immediately. On the other hand, relatively benign behaviors, like pulling books off a bottom shelf, might be worth letting go. Sometimes toddlers act out to seek attention. If you suspect that's the case with your child, she may need more attention and positive engagement. Be on the lookout to "catch" your child when she does something right and give her lots of praise. Steady praise will give your child the attention she seeks – and could help reduce her inclinations to misbehave.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Stop the Spread of Bullying
How to Stop the Spread of Bullying
In 1906 in order to sell his Square Deal, Republican president Teddy Roosevelt used what was called his Bully Pulpit to convince folks that projects l...
How can I reduce the pressure on my child to act older?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let’s face it, the culture is pushing our kids to grow up faster and they do act older than their ac...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Why Is It Important to Establish Routines for My Child?