How can I keep my child active indoors?

Encourage indoor play by:
  • “Sock skating” on bare floors or go to an indoor skating rink
  • Stocking an open room with foam balls and baskets, Twister, dance videos, and Chinese jump rope
  • Play wrestling in a pile of pillows and cushions
  • Putting on some lively music and dancing
  • Acting out a play, puppet show, or musical concert
  • Playing hide-and-seek
  • Seeking out community centers, indoor gymnasiums, or shopping centers for kids that have classes, climbing walls, balls, hoops, and other equipment
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

7 Steps to Healthy Eating Habits for Children
1. Start early. A basic biological fact: Kids will not crave foods they're not familiar with. As soon as your kid starts eating solid foods, really co...
Is sharing a bed bad for my child?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The results of a new study indicate that bed-sharing does not negatively affect cognitive or beh...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Al Roker and Deborah Roberts Have Learned From Their Marriage