How can I help my newborn's brain and body develop?

You can help your newborn baby develop his or her brain and body by doing a variety of fun activities. Some ideas for how to engage with your newborn include the following:

• Touch your baby. Cuddling, holding, rocking and massaging are all good ways to touch your baby.
  • Talk to your infant. Call out your baby’s name. Tell your baby what you are doing. Sing or read to your baby.
  • Show your baby objects. While your baby’s vision will take time to develop, your baby will be able to see items that are close. Newborns like bright colors and patterned objects.
  • Move your baby. If your baby is active, place him or her on his or her belly while supervised. Do not let your baby sleep in this position.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Talking To Your Kids About Drugs and Alcohol
Shocking fact of the week: More than 24.6 million people in the United States are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. That’s about 1 in every 10 America...
How can I help my kids remember rules?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While there are dozens of talks we can have with our kids and even dozens more rules and tips we...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Discuss Difficult Topics with My Child?