How can I help my child’s brain develop?

You, along with the other caregivers in you child’s life, provide the stimulation that is essential for growth. By talking to your children, singing to them, and reading to them, connections develop within the brain and become stronger with time and repetition. That’s why young children love to hear the same song or the same story over and over and over again.

Exasperating to the parents? Yes. Important for your child’s cognitive development? Absolutely! So, take a deep breath, and get ready to sing “Wheels on the Bus” for the 15th time, not only because your baby loves to hear your voice, but because it’s helping her brain grow.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

There is mounting evidence that early experiences can dramatically alter the way genes are expressed in the developing brain. Good experiences help any brain develop well.

Experts agree on the 10 top experiences needed for your child’s brain to develop and thrive:

• Interaction
  • Touch
  • Stable relationship
  • Safe, healthy environment
  • Self-esteem
  • Quality care
  • Communication
  • Play
  • Music
  • Reading

Continue Learning about Parenting

Seven Steps to Raising a Lifelong Learner
Encouraging a love of learning is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. Although your level of involvement will change often -- someti...
What can I do if I lose my temper and yell at my child?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
When you lose your cool and yell at a young child, the result is both some good news and some bad ne...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?