How can I help my children discover their strengths?

Michele Borba
There are so many fabulous opportunities to help our children discover their special talents and strengths. My Girl Scout leader from years ago was a master. Mrs. Woolley made us feel great by pointing out what we were good at. I always marveled at how she remembered our personal competencies. Then one day I discovered her secret when I found her notebook opened to a page filled with notes: “Meghan is interested in acrylics, Kelly’s soccer game, Joanne’s music recital.” It was her way of making sure no girl’s talent was ever overlooked.

Years later I still admire (and use!) Mrs. Woolley’s simple but powerful way of helping kids discover their strengths! It’s a secret we parents should be using far more. The more our children recognize their unique strengths, the stronger their self-beliefs will be. So help your child become aware of his or her own special qualities and talents. (And halt those comparisons to other siblings!)
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

You can help your children discover their strengths by first knowing your children’s likes and dislikes, and by identifying and exploring with them their personal interests and innate talents.

When necessary, you can help your children reinforce and enhance their strengths by supporting their further development in those areas of interests and strengths. 

The consistent and ongoing affirmation of their strengths can continuously bring their strengths to the forefront of their conscious mind for further enhancement.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
We've all seen kids who decide that the only thing worth eating is a chicken nugget. Or a bowl of mac and cheese. And that's it. Oh, the picky eater -...
When should my child see a counselor because of cyberbullying?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Cyberbullying can cause severe emotional damage and lead to depression. Please monitor your chil...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Get My Kids to Eat Low-Fat Dairy Foods?