How can I help my child be successful in school?

Here are some ways to help a child be successful in school and be a lifelong learner:

1. Define style. Determine your child’s learning style:

• Visual: learns best seeing teacher, diagrams on board, pictures in books.
  • Auditory: learns best by listening to lectures, discussions among classmates.
  • Kinesthetic: learns by engaging with his environment.

2. Enlist help. Partner with your child’s school to implement a program that encourages success.

3. Keep focused. Work on what needs to be worked on, then move on.

4. Celebrate success. Praise your child often for what she is good at and encourage continued growth in those areas.

5. Stay positive. Don’t allow your child to define herself by her limitations: “I’m no good at math” or “I’m a bad reader.”

6. Track progress. Put the spotlight on how hard she’s trying, how far she’s come.

7. Offer perspective. Let them know you make mistakes, perfection isn’t the goal, and that mistakes are an opportunity to learn.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Strategies to Make Surgery Easier for Your Child
Surgery can scare the heck out of kids, just as it can scare adults. These four strategies can reduce fear and ease the journey for both you and your ...
How can I encourage selfless acts in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Of course, one of the fastest way to increase selflessness is by “catching” your kid doing consi...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my child cope with fears?