How can I help my child recognize his successes?

Michele Borba
Nothing builds positive beliefs more than succeeding, and those achievements deserve celebrating. One way is having your child start his own Victory Log in a small notebook or journal. Each time your child achieves a special goal -- such as finally learn to ride a bike, learn those math facts or survive her first sleepover -- encourage your child to describe and date the success on a page.

The book can become a priceless keepsake of a child’s accomplishments that he can continue for years. For a non-reading child, consider taking a photo of the moment and pasting it into the log. This activity also helps your child learn to track his own successes and develop internal praise motivation instead of waiting for us to praise or reward those accomplishments.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Your Parenting Style Is Important
Your Parenting Style Is Important
Iman Shumpert, the Cleveland Cavaliers interestingly-coifed forward, has his own playing style. And he uses it to help create a smooth-working offense...
Should I let my boyfriend stay over if I have a teen daughter in the house?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
The answer depends. Is it okay for the kid to sleep with their boyfriend? “Do as I say, not as I do”...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Why Is It Important to Establish Routines for My Child?