How can I help my child deal with pain at the doctor's office?

Young kids will be helped by a simple explanation of what is going to happen and maybe even a drawing, while older kids may appreciate more information. Making comparisons to other ouches can be helpful; for example, if your child is afraid of a shot, you can say it will hurt for a second, just like a pinch or a bug bite, but then it’ll stop. The pediatrician may ask him to yell “Ouch!” or use another tactic to distract him from the pain.

Do your best to get him some real pain relief whenever possible, too. If your child needs to have a shot, blood drawn, or stitches, ask about “ouchless” options. For example, there’s a numbing cream the doctor can apply to his skin, but it takes about one hour to work. For minor lacerations, you can ask the doctor if skin tape (called Steri-Strips) or skin glue might work instead of stitches.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Healthy Fast-Food Meals for Kids
6 Healthy Fast-Food Meals for Kids
Soccer in 20 minutes? Marching band in 30? Shuttling kids between doctor appointments, play dates and music lessons sometimes means everybody's gotta ...
What should I know if I'm considering unschooling for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Unschooling is “ideal in philosophy and paper,” but often more difficult to pull off in reality....
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Help Your Toddler Graduate From Crib to Bed