How can I help my child adjust to a new home?

Michele Borba
Here are ways to help your child adapt to moving to a new home:
  • Celebrate new beginnings
Find a special way or ritual to celebrate your new house and move. Plant a tree as a family as new beginning. Take a photo of all of your family to send to all your old friends. Hold a special celebration dinner just for your family to toast to one another's health and happiness, or plant a tree as a family in your backyard to represent new growth.
  • Provide continuity
Stick to your normal family routine especially for those first few days after the move: favorite dinners, TV shows, nighttime stories. It will help your child recognize that though the house is different basic family routines will remain unchanged.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Help, My Kid Won't Stop Crying! How to Solve Temper Tantrums Now
If you have children, you’re probably all too familiar with temper tantrums: the crying, the kicking, the screaming. (Oh, my!) These emotional outburs...
How should I choose role models for my daughter?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Tune in to those so-called role models. Make sure their examples are ones you want your daughter...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Oz Discusses the Concussion Epidemic