How can I help my child use what he learns at school?

What your child learns at school may not have a lasting impact on him if it doesn’t seem to be connected to the world outside of school.

If your child can use new information in a context outside of the school setting, he will be more likely to see the importance of the new information and how it can actually help out in the real world.

Here are some examples of ways parents can help link learning to the world outside of school:

• Take some time on Sunday morning and read the newspaper with your child. Discuss or debate hot topics in the news. Doing so will help your child develop critical-thinking skills.
  • Talk about world events and how they relate to what your child is studying in history or geography.
  • Discuss the price of gas or rates of inflation as a way to use percentages.
  • For younger children, let them use their own money to buy candy at a store and talk about how much items cost and how much change he should receive.
  • Dictate your grocery list to improve printing or handwriting skills.
  • Cook together. Measuring recipe ingredients gives meaning to fractions.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Your Parenting Style Is Important
Your Parenting Style Is Important
Iman Shumpert, the Cleveland Cavaliers interestingly-coifed forward, has his own playing style. And he uses it to help create a smooth-working offense...
How do I know if my child is spending too much time online?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Over the next few days do an informal reality check of your family. Note the extent each family ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Mo’Nique Gives an Audience Member Emotional Support