How can I help my child if his grades dip?

Michele Borba
Make sure you recheck the teacher's website for your child's current grades and test scores. If you notice a downslide in your child's academic progress:

Set a conference with teacher. Review test scores, grades, as well as achievement test results, which should be available.

Find out what would improve school performance -- a tutor, a class change, or hitting those books harder -- then develop a plan together before you leave that meeting.

If your child needs a tutor consider hiring a retired teacher or even a high school student if cost is an issue.

Check upcoming class projects with your child like the science fair, extended book report or that social studies project, and mark due dates on a calendar so your child can allow time and effort to complete those tasks.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
We've all seen kids who decide that the only thing worth eating is a chicken nugget. Or a bowl of mac and cheese. And that's it. Oh, the picky eater -...
How can I teach my child about private parts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The trick is to help your child or teen understand what are appropriate, normal and healthy kind...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Oz Explains the King-Devick Test
Dr. Oz Explains the King-Devick Test