How can I help my child cope with fears?

Fears in childhood are normal. Be an attentive, patient listener and allow your children to voice their fears to you. If you can identify your child’s stressors ahead of time, you may be able to prevent negative reactions to stressful situations by helping your child prepare for them. Talking about an upcoming event well ahead of the date - like a visit to the doctor’s office, for example - will help your child mentally prepare for it. You can read a children’s book together about what a doctor’s check-up entails, you can even play pretend about what is likely to happen at the office. What children seem to fear the most is the unknown, so help them become familiar with what is to come and you can minimize their anxiety about it.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
Tamar Chansky

Although it can take time, children can learn to face down their fears. In this video, psychologist Dr. Tamar Chansky, who specializes in anxiety, offers de-scare tactics for parents of fearful kids.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
“This is the paramedic, we’re driving in with a 4-month-old. Mother found it in the crib, not breathing. CPR underway.” As an ER doctor, there are fe...
Should I set rules to help my child become ethical?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Experts find that parents who raise moral kids expect their kids to act morally, even demand tha...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - Should I let my child watch the news after a tragedy?