How do I handle a child who is playing favorites with relatives?

Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
Psychology Specialist

In every family, there are differences in the way one set of relatives relates to the kids, versus the other set. Differing cultural traditions and values can play a role. Sometimes, one family has tons of grandkids (and therefore less time and money to spend) and the other side has few, so therefore more time and money. The general level of intensity of the relationships within the family often dictate things, too. For instance, my husband’s family is more involved in general in the lives of their friends and family. My family, on the other hand, is more "live and let live".  Neither is better, just different. Kids have to get used to the fact that everyone is different; and that’s OK.

Grandparents have the inalienable right to spoil their grandkids; nothing I can say will change that. But your children will learn over time, with your help, that you can’t "judge the book by its cover". Treats and presents are great, but they’re not everything.

The kids do have to learn that some things in life cannot be controlled; Grandma X gives cookies and candy, Grandma Y gives fruit and crackers. All you can do is talk to the kids gently (but frequently) about manners, being polite with everyone, and the fact that everyone is different. Perhaps the less-lenient grandparents have other attributes: Maybe they can teach the kids to fish, or go camping, or how to sew. The grandparents also have to come to terms with the fact that they will each have different standards with the kids.

You can talk to all the grandparents about your dilemma. Try to generate some empathy for the kids, for the other set of grandparents, and for you in the situation. Talk to the lenient grandparents about the bind they put you in. "I don’t want to deny you your right to spoil the grandkids. I don’t want to control your time with them. But when they come back home to rules and to be with us, they’re impossible, since they’ve had so many goodies. They even told us they don’t want to live with us anymore, or visit with the other grandparents. Can we talk about toning it down just a little bit?"

Also, talk with the other grandparents about your plans to address it. Show them you mean business when you insist that the kids are nice and polite. Really play up the cool things that your kids can do with these grandparents. Show your kids that their tantrums aren’t going to get them anywhere; they still need to have a cordial relationship with all family members.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Mom, Take Care of Yourself!
Mom, Take Care of Yourself!
What makes Allison Janney’s TV character, Mom, so comical is that she’s pretty confused and messed up. It’s all about her—not her daughter Christy (An...
What should I look for in a baby stroller?
Picking your kid's first set of wheels isn't as nerve-wracking as handing over the keys in 16 or 17 ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Get My Kids to Eat Low-Fat Dairy Foods?