How can I help my gifted child fit in with other kids?

All children need validation and acceptance, and sometimes a gifted child may feel different from other children and have trouble connecting with his peers. He may repress his intellectual ability, pretending he doesn’t know as much as he really does so that he can fit in. Conversely, he can be boastful, or a bit of know-it-all, which often alienates him from his classmates.

Several patients of mine have had great success with mentors. If you can find a mentor who is a good match for your child, the relationship can really help him develop his social skills. Mentors also can provide encouragement, inspiration, new insights, and other rewards for children of all ages and academic levels. Ask your child if he is open to teaming up with a mentor. If so, ask his teacher to help identify a few mentor candidates.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
When your child is in the hospital, it helps to think of the key staff members as new friends who can play a critical role in your child's well-being....
How do I keep my child safe while letting him take risks?
While you know that kids are at risk of severe injury from accidents, the number one cause of de...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - Should I let my child watch the news after a tragedy?