How can I find a responsible babysitter for my child?

As I’m sure you’re aware, finding a good babysitter is not always an easy task. If you’ve recently moved to a new city or don’t have family members nearby, choosing someone to care for your children while you’re out of the home can be a challenge. Your best source for a dependable and qualified sitter is other parents. Ask neighbors, coworkers, members of your church, temple, synagogue, or religious group, or even your pediatrician for their recommendations. Also, your local Red Cross chapter or YMCA might provide a list of babysitters who have completed their course on child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and babysitting safety. Do you have any colleges or universities in your town? If so, contact the career development office and ask if there is a job posting bulletin board on campus where you could place an ad? Once you’ve compiled a list of possible candidates, you’ll need to interview them, check their references, and narrow down your choices.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Medication Questions: Why Pediatricians Go Off-Label
If pediatricians prescribed only drugs approved for kids, we'd have a lot of sick kids. So it's extremely common for doctors to prescribe medications ...
Why should I do a mid-year check on my child's school experience?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Mid-year is when parents tend to have a good idea about how their kids are doing in school -- wh...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Help Your Toddler Graduate From Crib to Bed